MCO Phase 1 Further Extended Till Cases Drop Below 4,000 Per Day
An official statement was released by the Prime Minister's office on 28 May 2021, announcing the implementation of the Phase 1 FMCO (Full MCO, also known as 'total lockdown') nationwide for a period of 14 days from 1 - 14 June 2021. Throughout this duration, all economic sectors are not allowed to operate with the exception of essential economic and service sectors (full list will be released by the Majlis Keselamatan Negara soon). The FMCO will be equivalent to the first MCO announced in 2020.
This tough decision was made following a rise in COVID-19 cases in Malaysia in recent weeks, with daily cases exceeding 8,000 and over 70,000 active cases - pushing the nation's healthcare institutions to a breaking point.
It is mentioned in the official statement that should the number of cases face a decline after 2 weeks, the government will implement a Phase 2 FMCO lockdown for 4 weeks where selected economic sectors will be allowed to reopen.
Malaysians are encouraged to stay home and adhere to the SOPs diligently during these times. More FMCO SOPs are expected to be released soon. Stay safe everyone!
[Update, 11 June] It was announced that the FMCO will be extended for 2 more weeks, currently scheduled to end on 28 June 2021.
[Update, 16 June] It was announced in a special address on June 15 that Malaysia will be implementing a National Recovery Plan (Pelan Pemulihan Negara) that will be divided into 4 phases. We will only be able to step into Phase 2 of the MCO when the average daily cases fall below 4000 and 10% of the population has received two COVID-19 vaccination doses. The government is predicting that Phase 4 of the MCO (whereby all economic sectors will be allowed to reopen) will only be able to be implemented in November and December 2021.
Latest MCO 3.0 Extension Update
[Update, 27 June] Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin announced that MCO 3.0 initially scheduled to end on 28 June will be further extended as long as the number of cases remains high. As per the 4-phase National Recovery Plan, Phase 1 of MCO 3.0 will remain in place until these criteria are fulfilled:
- < 4000 daily infection cases
- ICU wards start operating at a moderate level
- Nation vaccination rate reaches 10% of the population
FMCO SOP Announced On 30 May
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob and Health Director-General Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah addressed the nation in a live broadcast on Sunday (30 May) to announce the full lockdown MCO SOP.
Note: The full list of SOP will be published on the Majlis Keselamatan Negara official website soon. Here are some key points mentioned during the press conference:
- The MCO will be implemented nationwide for 4 weeks from 1 - 28 June 2021, and the list of SOP is applicable to all states and territories in Malaysia.
- All economic and social activities are not allowed to operate with the exception of 17 essential services such as F&B, health and medical sectors, vets and animal clinics, water, energy, security, communications, post and courier services, banking, insurance, agriculture, fishing, and more. Refer to the list of essential services here.
- Selected sectors in the manufacturing industry (pembuatan dan perkilangan) are allowed to operate with 60% worker capacity.
- Shopping malls are not allowed to operate with the exception of tenants that fall under the essential services category such as supermarkets, restaurants, convenience stores, optical stores, pharmacies, and more.
- All F&B outlets are allowed to operate for delivery and takeaway services only (strictly no dine-ins and park & dine allowed).
- [Update, 28 June] Restaurants and eateries are now allowed to operate from 6AM to 10PM.
- While there will not be a curfew, Malaysians are urged to stay home after 8PM.
- Only 2 people per household are allowed to head out to shop for daily necessities such as food, groceries, and medicine.
- Interstate and interdistrict travel remain banned and travel distance is now limited to a 10KM radius. Exceptions are allowed for emergencies such as death and to get medical help, permission can be obtained directly from the police when stopped at roadblocks (3 people per vehicle allowed for emergency situations).
- Only 2 passengers (including the driver) are allowed per car in taxis and e-hailing vehicles.
- All sports and recreational activities (including tournaments and trainings) are not allowed with the exception of jogging and non-contact individual exercise (till 8PM only).
- All schools and education institutions will be closed throughout the MCO. Childcare centres (taska) and private (or international) kindergartens are allowed only to operate for children in the situation whereby both parents work in essential services.
- Face-to-face meetings, seminars, trainings, exhibitions, talks, and conferences cannot be held.
- Social events such as weddings, receptions, birthday celebrations, reunions, retreats, akad nikah, and more are strictly prohibited.
- Tourism activities and attractions such as aquariums, indoor playgrounds, zoos, farms, nature parks, museums, art galleries, karaoke centres, and more are not allowed to operate.
- Citizens who need to cross district lines to head for their vaccination appointments do not require a permission letter from the police and can simply flash their proof of appointment on the MySejahtera app, website, or SMS if stopped by authorities.
Non-Exhaustive list of services and activities that are NOT allowed to operate:
- Night markets, weekend markets, pasar tani
- Spas, massage parlours, reflexology centres
- Wellness & beauty centres
- Manicure & pedicure outlets
- Barbers & hair saloons
- Car wash
- Pubs & night clubs
- Indoor & outdoor busking
- Retail outlets (e.g: clothing, bookstores, accessories, toys, sports equipment, florists, furniture etc)
Need A Swab?
Be in the hands of certified nurses when you book a reliable swab test service on Klook. Get tested in the safety of your car with a drive-thru swab test at LifeCare Bangsar, or be tested at home by booking an in-home swab test service by Homage (especially convenient for children and the elderly).
Check out these reliable swab test services bookable on Klook: