Cradle Mountain World Heritage Explorer Day Trip from Launceston
- Discover Cradle Mountain and Dove Lake - Tasmania's premier World Heritage Area. With time to hike, explore the trails and keep an eye out for friendly local Wombats
- This day trip is for those that are keen to hike and explore this World Heritage area. Experience ancient rainforests, alpine heaths, glacial lakes, rugged mountains and wonderful close encounters with the local wildlife.
- Walk along the “Rainforest City” & “Pencil Pine Falls” tracks, explore the not to be missed Cradle Mountain National Park and World Heritage Area
- Take on the Dove Lake circuit walk and stand on the shore of the spectacular setting of Dove Lake
- Visit Sheffield the ‘Town of Murals’ with over 30 murals painted across the town and taste a variety of local cheeses or reward yourself with a local ice-cream at Ashgrove Cheese
What to expect
Cradle Mountain National Park is an area of world famous scenery with a wide variety of walking trails to explore. With 5 hours of time to spend in the National Park this walking itinerary is flexible to suit participants and weather conditions on the day.
After departing Launceston enjoy a short stop in Sheffield – The Town of Murals. Sheffield is a small and quirky rural village, in the foothills of the mountains. Sheffield is Tasmania’s own outdoor art gallery, featuring over 100 paintings on the walls of buildings across the town. The artwork depicts the history of the Cradle Mountain region, and is a great taster before you continue onwards into the mountains.
Arriving into the Cradle Mountain National Park, prepare for the walking opportunities ahead of us. We aim for around 4 – 5 hours in the National Park, to really make the most of the trails. We begin with a series of short walks to Rainforest City and Pencil Pine Falls.
We begin our longer walk from Dove Lake. Here you can choose your preferred main walk. There is the iconic Dove Lake Circuit which is 6 kilometers, classified as easy and usually takes 2-3 hours. For the more active and avid hiker, we offer the chance to climb to the loftier heights of Marion’s Lookout. This is around 4 kilometers but has is classified as medium, with some steep sections. This walk is well rewarded with amazing 360 degree views of the surrounding World Heritage wilderness area from the top.
We stop along the way for a lunch break, enjoy a rest by a quiet stream, watch the famous and friendly Cradle wombats in their natural habitat, or take the time to photograph the landscapes. Learn some of the local history as we visit Weindorfer’s Chalet and see the ancient King Billy Pines on Weindorfer’s Forest Walk.
On our return to Launceston, we stop and sample some local tasty products at the award-winning Ashgrove Cheese Factory.
We return to Launceston around 6.00 – 6.30pm after a huge yet unforgettable Cradle Mountain day. Cradle Mountain is the backdrop for a truly memorable and not to be missed Tasmanian experience.