Please note: the Royal Observatory will be closed from 4th January until 31st March 2022 due to a redevelopment project
- Learn more about this activity’s Enhanced Health & Hygiene Measures
- Visit the home of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and stand on the Meridian Line with one foot in the eastern and one in the western hemisphere
- Follow the footsteps and discovers the stories of Astronomers Royal
- Experience the past, present and future wonders of astronomy, space and the stars!
- Visit must see attractions: the Great Equatorial Telescope, Harrison’s clocks, the Shepherd Gate Clock, the Time Ball and the famous Octagon Room
- Enjoy dramatic views of London across Greenwich Royal Park, the City of London and the River Thames
Explore the wonders of astronomy and experience its past, present and future with a visit to the Royal Observatory Greenwich. Learn about the stories of the Astronomers Royal as well as how scientists mapped the stars here to navigate the sea. Get a once in a lifetime experience and place yourself where the Eastern and Western Hemispheres meet by standing on the world famous Meridian Line, with one foot in either hemisphere! Enjoy the beautiful features of Christopher Wren's Octagon Room, with its wood paneling and astronomical instruments, as well as its gorgeous views of Greenwich Royal Park, the City of London and the River Thames. Visit must see attractions such as the Great Equatorial Telescope, an onion dome that contains the seventh largest telescope in the world, and the Shepherd Gate Clock, the first clock to show Greenwich Mean Time to the public. Remember to use the multi-language audio guides provided with your admission ticket and don’t forget to treat yourself to some food at the cafe and maybe even buy some souvenirs! A visit to the observatory will be a treat not only for science buffs but for everyone!
Covid-19 Safety Measures
- Please note that visitors are required to bring their own face covering and to wear it inside the attraction
- Reduced capacity and one way routes at our sites to ensure we can maintain social distancing
- Increased cleaning regime, and Sanitiser stations along the attraction
- Card payments only
- Some interactives, touch screens and audioguides will be unavailable