Dark Sky Project-Summit Experience (Mt. John Observatory Tour)
- Tour the night sky at Mt John Observatory and part of the Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve
- Learn about the marvels of the southern sky with our expert guides
- Observe deep sky objects through powerful optical telescopes, up to 16 inch in aperture
- In certain conditions you maybe able to see the incredible Milky Way, far off planets, star clusters, solar systems, and even distant galaxies
- Every night sky beholds something different
- Brighten your night by going to one of the best places in the world for stargazing
- Astrophotography services pending availability
What to expect
At 1,029m high, Mt John offers unrivalled 360-degree views across the largest accredited International Dark Sky Reserve in the world.
The expert astronomy guides bring the night sky to life, sharing the science and the stories of our Southern skies. Stargaze using the naked eye guided by lasers and then proceed to explore deeper through up to 16" optical telescopes, including in our private observatory dome. Take in the incredible Milky Way, far off planets, star clusters, solar systems, and even distant galaxies; every night sky beholds something different.