Heli Hike in Franz Josef Glacier
- On your journey you may encounter features that accentuate the popular blue ice experience, regarded as a ‘trip highlight’, whilst surrounded by soaring seracs (ice towers), reaching up to 40m tall! Revel in an exciting combo of a thrilling helicopter ride and a hike across the majestic wonder of the Franz Josef Glacier
- A famous experience for adventurers around the world, enjoy up to 2 hours of ice time - including a guided tour on the glacier to explore its key features with a guide
- Make your way through the amazing formations and caves, which can only be found in this unique landscape
What to expect
A guided Heli-hike glacier experience you will never forget! Franz Josef Glacier Guides and The Helicopter Line are proud to share with you the very best of New Zealand’s glaciers.
Thanks to the detailed knowledge of the glacier region, you'll come away with a whole new appreciation for Kā Roimata o Hine Hukatere (Franz Josef Glacier).
The guides have an extensive amount of experience and are specialists in their craft. Safety is top priority with each trip tailored to the ability of your group, as well as the conditions of the ice on the day.
Heli Hike tours are limited so be sure to book early! Please note this tour is operated by The Helicopter Line, with guided services provided by Franz Josef Glacier Guides.
Things to note
What To Bring:
- Warm, breathable base layers such as merino or polypropylene
- Suitable long pants for walking in (no jeans)
- Sunglasses and sun protection (don't forget to protect your lips with balm)
- Your own warm hat and gloves if you prefer
- Small backpack with a drink and snacks
- It is recommended you bring a valid ID as there are age and safety restrictions for this hike