International Drivers Permit for Singaporeans driving overseas
Going on a road trip? Good on you! Having the freedom to explore the cities at your own pace, getting lost on the roads and discovering new hotspots with your friends is all part of the process.
But, did you know that you require an International Driving Permit (IDP) when you’re driving in certain cities? If you’re unsure of how to apply for one or whether you even require one, read on to find out!
What is an International Driving Permit?
Containing driving terms in various languages, the IDP eases communication with car rental companies and other authorities. The IDP is the only official legal document sanctioned by the UN Convention on Road Traffic.
Why do i need an International Driving Permit?
The IDP will come in handy in the following situations:
- Car rental
- Traffic violations
- Traffic accidents
- Motor insurance claims
- Verify driver details with photo identification
What are the requirements to applying for an International Driving Permit?
- Applicants must have a valid Singapore driving licence
- Applicants must present BOTH a valid Singapore driving license and NRIC
- Applicants must apply for the IDP in the country that issued their driving license
Which cities require an International Driving Permit?
If you’re heading to these cities and plan to drive, the International Driving Permit will be recognized. Do note that China, Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam do NOT recognize the International Driving Permit.
In these cities, an International Driving Permit is REQUIRED.
How to apply for International Driving Permit?
You can choose to apply for the International Driving Permit online through the Automobile Association of Singapore website.The process will only take you 10 minutes and you will require the following:
- Passport sized photo
- NRIC (front/back)
- Singapore driving license (front/back)
- Credit/debit card for online payment of application fee ($20)
Do note that delivery via courier service will be within 7 working days and an additional $5.50 will be added to your cart prior to checkout for courier service.
Over the counter:
You can also choose to head to the Automobile Association of Singapore counters where the entire process will take about 1 hour.
Address : 535 Kallang Bahru, #01-08 S(339351)
Opening hours : Mon to Fri 8.30am – 5.30pm, last submission at 5.15pm | Sat: 8.30am – 1pm, last submission at 12.45pm
Address : 51 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3, #02-02 51@AMK S(569922)
Opening hours : Mon to Sun: 10am – 10pm, last submission at 9.45pm
How long is my International Driving Permit valid for?
Your International Driving Permit is only valid for a year from the date issued. You will also require your Singapore driver’s license along with your IDP.
Your road trip awaits!
Now that you’ve got your IDP settled, here are some ideas for your next road trip:
- The great Queensland Road Trip – Gold Coast to Sunshine Coast
- Easy Melbourne day trips
- Melbourne road trips no more than 3 hours away from the city
Alternatively, if driving overseas is too much of a hassle, opt for a private car charter!
- Explore the amazing city in the clouds Khao Kho with a private driver
- Visit the beautiful Khao Yai with a private driver
- Cross the causeway and explore Johor Bahru with a private driver