Upgrades with JR Pass in 2020
The Japan Rail Pass, or JR Pass for short, is an essential transport pass for those looking to visit far and wide across Japan. There are some new upgrades to the JR Pass systems to look forward which will lend a more seamless and convenient experience – just in time for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics!
1. NEW! 6-Month Pass Validity (Klook Exclusive)
Instead of the standard 3-month validity offered by other travel agencies or online travel websites, Klook now allows you to start planning and purchasing the JR Pass up to 6 months prior to your arrival in Japan.
The 6-month validity option is applicable for the 7/14/21 Days Whole Japan Rail Pass (Ordinary Car). When selecting the date during your JR Pass purchase, you can select at least 7 business days before your departure date to Japan.
When will I receive my JR Pass Exchange Order?
- Depart to Japan 3 months from booking date: Your exchange voucher will be delivered to your address within 3-5 business days
- Depart to Japan more than 3 months from booking date: Your exchange voucher will be delivered to your address ~ 3 months before your departure date
2. More ways to reserve seats
With your JR Pass, you are entitled to unlimited rides on JR trains. While making seat reservations are not mandatory, you do have the option to reserve seats for selected JR trains.
It’s recommended to reserve your seats during busy travel periods since the non-reserved carriages can get pretty packed, with many having to stand throughout the journey. If you’re travelling in a group, it’s also a good idea to reserve your seats so you can sit together.
Currently, seat reservations can only be done by approaching the staff at selected JR Ticket Office. However, starting in spring 2020, those with JR Pass are able to book reserved seats online or get them from a ticket machine in bullet train stations.
3. Implementation of automatic gates
Currently, JR Pass holders don’t go through the automatic gates. Instead, you’d have to pass through the manned gate and present your pass to the staff. On certain occasions, you might also need to present your passport with your JR Pass.
With the new change in spring 2020, JR Pass holders can go through the regular automatic ticket gates and avoid the hassle of manual checking at the manned gates!
Want to find out more about JR Pass?
For more info on JR Pass, read up on these helpful tips & guide:
- All Your Frequently Asked Questions About The JR Pass Answered
- Your Japan Cherry Blossom Chase In 7/14/21 Days With The Japan Rail Pass
- All You Need To Know About The Japan Rail Pass
- Where can I use my JR Pass: Hokkaido?
- Where can I go with my JR Pass: Kansai?
- How To Use Your Takayama Hokuriku Japan Rail Pass