How to successfully apply for Europe Visa
India is one of the key markets for European Tourism. With over 10 million Indians flocking to Europe each year, the number is expected to increase to 15 million by 2020, according to a report. And in an effort to increase tourism, EU has relaxed its visa procedures too. Now, Indian travellers need not struggle to get a visa and can absolutely plan their trip hassle-free, just like planning an itinerary on Klook!
With awesome offers on tours and activities easily available on a Klook to create the perfect Europe itinerary, there is no reason not to plan a vacation this monsoon season.
But before that, it’s time to get your Schengen visa!
There are officially 26 member countries in Europe that require the Schengen Visa.
If you are looking to get around multiple European countries, then you must read our guide on the EU Rail tickets, your best best to get around Europe.
If you wish to plan a European itinerary, you have to apply for a short-term Schengen tourist visa, which is generally of two types—Type A and Type C. Depending on the kind of visa you’re applying for, you will be granted access to a single country or multiple countries.
So, in case you get yourself a EURail Pass to travel from France to Switzerland and from then from Switzerland to Italy, you need to apply to the embassy/consulate of the country you will be staying for the longest period of time.
Gather the Required Documents
While there might be a few additions to the general list of documents, depending on the country you’re travelling to, this is what you’re required to be ready with:
- Application Form – this has to be downloaded from official website. You can also fill it online and print out a hard-copy. Download here.
- 2 passport size photos – these should have the complete face with ears visible, clicked against a white background. About 70-80% of the picture needs to be filled with the applicant’s face. This will be 35mm x 45mm in size, with a matte finish.
- Passport, and copies of previous visas – your passport must have space worth 2 blank pages.
- Cover letter – that shall state the purpose of the visit and the itinerary.
- Round Trip Flight tickets – stating dates, the point of entry and exit.
- Proof of accommodation
- Travel Insurance confirming a minimum of €30,000 (INR 23,15,616.75 approx) within the entire Schengen area.
- Tickets for travelling within the Schengen area (if applicable)
- Proof of civil status – birth certificate should be enough.
- Bank statement – this needs to show a minimum balance of €3000 (INR 2,31,596.33 approx) over the last 6 months. If you do not possess the given amount in your bank, you could show a family member’s/guardian’s statement instead, with an accompanying letter stating that they are sponsoring your travel and stay. The bank statement needs to be attested by the bank.
- Income Tax Returns for the last 3 years
- An employment contract, with a leave letter (if applicable)
- Letter from the university– this needs to be accompanied by a ‘NOC’ from the university (applicable to students only).
- Pension statement (applicable if retired)
Visa Processing Time
The processing time for a Schengen Visa is approximately 10 – 15 working days.
Schedule An Appointment
We strongly recommend you book an appointment a month in advance to make sure that everything goes smoothly. The earliest you can apply is up to 3 months before the date of departure.
Submission of Visa Application During the Appointment
Once the appointment is fixed, you have to attend the interview in person. Make sure you take some time to sort out all the necessary documents including the filled-out application form by the scheduled time of appointment. Answer all the questions regarding your trip and purpose confidently to ensure a successful application.
During the interview you will be asked questions about your trip and purpose. Ensure that you have everything in place.
Pay the fees
Once the visa application form is checked by the officials, you will be asked to pay the visa amount. This can be paid in cash or card.
|Visa Category||VISA Fee (INR)||VISA Fee (EUR)|
|Schengen Visa (Adult)||4638||60|
|Schengen Visa (Child between 06-12 years of age)||2700||35|
Note: The applicable visa fee in INR is as per the current exchange rate. It is subject to change as per inflation.
The right to issue a Schengen Visa lies with the concerned embassy/consulate. There are few rare instances where your visa application might be rejected, but, yet, all your documents, including your passport will be returned to you. If you have any questions regarding the entire application progress, do check out the FAQs at the Schengen Visa website.
If you follow the above steps, there is a strong chance that you will obtain the Europe visa without breaking a sweat. If everything goes according to the plan, you will be ready to plan an itinerary to Europe where you can popular destinations like Switzerland, UK, France, Italy and many more.
We’ve got you covered with big savings with the Klook’s Tip Tap Go Monsoon sale! Enjoy up to INR 10,000 off when you pre-book your Europe activities on Klook. Simply key in the promo code “BAARISH” to enjoy 8% off min spend INR 15,000 capped at INR 2,400 or “TIPTAPGO” to enjoy 10% off min spend INR 50,000 capped at INR 10,000