…when you’re on the wrong side of a long-haul flight and sleepless night, you can relax and enjoy the ride after landing.
Big cities around the world can be tricky to navigate, even for locals. So, if you’re planning a trip and wondering how to get around Auckland, here are four transport tips from the top. Common advice is to check out your options and book online before you set off. We all know what jet lag and airport fatigue feel like, so book your seat on a private, shared or shuttle airport transfer now. And when you’re on the wrong side of a long-haul flight and sleepless night, you can relax and enjoy the ride after landing.
And if you also intend on accessing mobile data and WiFi when you’re in Auckland, tip number one is a digital lifesaver.
1. Sort your WiFi and SIM Card in advance
This travel essential should be on your list of must-haves, along with passport, sunglasses and thongs – after all, these days WiFi is practically a basic human need! And it’s going to make your travel planning wayyy easier. Roaming is costly, and finding a local SIM Card can feel like a hassle. Luckily, you can do this in advance with a few taps on your phone.
Best of all, staying connected in Auckland has never more affordable, so now there’s no excuse for latergramming!
All you need to do is visit Klook (or better yet, download the app on Android or iOS) – and it’s as simple as a few easy taps. The data options offer incredible flexibility, helping you tailor your card and connectivity to you, your device and travel needs.
All you need to decide is whether you need:
- 4G or 3G
- SIM or WiFi
- Single or multiple devices
… as well as how long you need it for.
You can also choose which airport to pick your card up from (this can be departure from Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Phuket, Singapore and Hong Kong, or at arrival at Auckland or Christchurch). And if you’re travelling soon, you can book online up to a few days before your epic adventure starts. Why pay more when you can pay local?
How to pick up a 4G SIM Card from Auckland Airport
- Download the Klook app on Android or iOS
- Book your 4G Sim Card from the Klook app. This deal gives you 1.5GB for 30 days, with calls and texts included. You will receive a confirmation email.
- After security, pick up your SIM Card from the International Terminal on the 1st floor. Just show your mobile voucher on the Klook app – no printing required!
- Just call 777 to activate your SIM Card
2. Book car rental from your mobile
To make the most of your trip, book car rental in Auckland so you can travel independently around the city and out to the coast. Some of the best beaches, islands, restaurants, vineyards and boat trips can be easily reached from Auckland by car. You can book online, at very short notice, and choose from vehicles suiting three up to five people – just take your pick from the Toyota Carolla to the Toyora SAV4. You can also opt for additional drivers at no charge and book child seats for your smallest passengers.
You’ll find the car rental sites at convenient locations across the city, and your chosen vehicle will be waiting for you when you arrive. Cruise around the city. Drive across Auckland Harbour Bridge in comfort, on your way to Long Bay Regional Park. Or, enjoy the beautiful drive through Waitākere Ranges Regional Park as you head out for a day at the beach on the west coast.
How to book your car rental on Klook:
- Download the Klook app on Android or iOS
- Book your car rental from the Klook app. You’ll receive your voucher via email.
- On arrival, collect your luggage and contact EZU Car Rental for a shuttle to the store (this will take about 8 minutes). Then, wait at the pick up area outside of the Arrival Hall. Make sure you have a valid driver’s license, credit card, and passport. Easy as!
3. Share airport transfers to Auckland (or go private)
If you don’t fancy catching public transport after a long-haul flight while wrestling with bags and jet lag, this is one of the cheapest ways to travel from Auckland airport to the city in style. It’s really easy to book online for private or shared transfers from the airport, which deliver you and your luggage to your hotel in Auckland, door-to-door.
Book yourself onto this great value, 11-seater super shuttle, and join fellow travel-weary passengers in the comfort of an air-conditioned mini-coach. It also features free onboard WiFi and video screen. Your journey may take longer due to multiple drop-off and pick-up points but you can always catch up on sleep or just enjoy the views of Auckland and let your experienced driver navigate the route.
If you decide to charter a private transfer, you’ll have the added benefit of travelling with up to 11 passengers from your own group. Your transfer time is also shorter, too, as there’s just the one drop-off and pick-up.
How catch your airport shuttle from Auckland Airport
- Book your airport transfer on Klook. Your ticket includes up to 23kg of luggage and 1 carry-on item.
- On arrival, collect your luggage at the airport luggage claim.
- Proceed to the Super Shuttle holding rank located immediately outside the main terminal exit door.
- Present your printed or mobile voucher to the driver at the Super Shuttle holding rank for vehicle boarding.
4. Book a seat on the Express Skybus
The best-value transport from Auckland airport to the city is the Auckland Express Skybus. This premium air-conditioned coach leaves the airport every 10 minutes for the SkyBus Hub in the city centre.
Your 55-minute journey comes complete with free WiFi access, plenty of space in the hold for luggage and cosy seats for sleeping off any time difference with home. Your adventure then continues, as you transfer onto one of five shuttle-bus services which cover Downtown, delivering you to the most convenient drop-off point for your hotel or onward journey.
Book in advance and online to make your first day in Auckland as smooth as possible. After a long flight it’s a no-brainer, and if you book the round trip upfront, you save even more money.
How to catch your Skybus ticket from Auckland Airport
- Book your the Auckland Express Skybus on Klook. You will receive a confirmation email and voucher instantly after booking.
- On arrival at Auckland Aiport, go to Door 4 at the Domestic Terminal, or Door 8 at the International Terminal
- Present your printed or mobile voucher to the driver
5. Hop-on and hop-off the Auckland Explorer Bus
Once you’ve landed and dusted yourself off, you’ll be itching to explore the city. But it can be hard to know where to start in a place as rich in tourist attractions as Auckland. A great introduction to the key sights, and how to get around Auckland, is the Explorer Bus.
You can hop on and hop off at every stop if you wish, or just sit back and enjoy the whistle-stop tour and commentary. Book your one- or two-day pass online, and look forward to visiting the best places in Auckland on both the Red and Blue Tours. You’ll receive email confirmation immediately after booking, so you’re good to go! How else can you take in sights such as The Maritime Museum, Auckland Zoo, Mount Eden and Sky Tower in one day, without knowing where they are, or even leaving your seat?
Make the most of your trip – it’s easy to sort our mobile data and transfers in advance!
The rewards of travel – excitement, mind-expansion and memorable experiences – are why we globetrotters can’t get enough. But getting there can be a hassle and data roaming costly. But if you take these five tips on board, you can avoid technical hitches, make your time in Auckland as easy as possible and your journey around the city a smooth one. And you can sort out mobile data and WiFi access for Auckland, at the click of a button. Isn’t technology wonderful?