Golden Water Puppet Admission Ticket in Ho Chi Minh City
- Watch enchanting folk tales and legends performed in a pool of water with ornate backdrops
- Listen to authentic Vietnamese operatic songs accompanying an elaborate puppet play
- Appreciate the creativity and dedication directed into preserving the culture of puppet making
- Experience the convenience of having your tickets delivered to your hotel a day or two before catching a show
- Explore Ho Chi Minh City through exciting guided tours of floating markets along the Mekong Delta
What to expect
Originating in the rice paddies of the Red River Delta in North Vietnam, traditional water puppet plays remain one of the most popular draws for travellers in Ho Chi Minh City. If you want to truly immerse yourself in the local culture of Vietnam’s largest city, then catch a show at the Golden Dragon Water Puppet Theater! Located in Tao Dan Park, the theater offers nightly shows that are often sold out due to limited seating. You can buy your tickets in advance and have them delivered to your hotel or you can pick them up at your convenience. On the day of your selected show, you will be greeted by ushers dressed in áo dài or traditional silk tunic by the theater doors. The shows are performed entirely in Vietnamese but the puppet gestures and accompanying music are captivating even to foreign audiences. The orchestra is often positioned to one side of the stage adding in sound effects and playing traditional music using drums, wooden bells, horns, bamboo flutes and cymbals as the dragons, fairies and other ornamental figures dance across the water stage. Most of the shows recount Vietnamese folk tales, legends, and significant seasonal events, like the celebration of the rice harvest, depicted in a humorous fashion.